Friday, March 8, 2013

I have an addiction...to popcorn!

I love popcorn - like serious addiction. Hubby bought me a popcorn popper one year for Christmas as a last-minute, "I hope she likes this" kind of gift and I LOVED it! After seriously nailing savory popcorn that I like early on, I started thinking about what else I could do with popped corn.

My first batch was peanut butter chocolate popcorn! Wow was that yummy and Kyle ate way more than I did! I'll post that another time.

I love some sweets, but am much more of a salty or savory type of person. When salted caramel became popular, I was in heaven.

Now onto my caramel popcorn. Do NOT think of that funky cracker jacks stuff - which is fine, but not my thing - this is caramel carried to your mouth lovingly by little while popped corn kernels.

Here is my first original popcorn recipe, Salted Caramel Popcorn.

Air pop about 8-10 cups of popcorn - set aside in bowls with enough room to mix!
Combine 1/2 c butter, 1 c brown sugar and 1/4 c corn syrup in sauce pan - melt for 5 min. Add 1 tsp vanilla, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Coat popcorn! You will have to stir quickly before the caramel cools so that everything is coated.

Now, line baking trays with parchment paper or a little corn starch to keep from ruining your baking tray.

Finally - I added another drizzle of caramel. Melt some more butter and brown sugar with a pinch (seriously a pinch) of baking soda. Drizzle this all over the popcorn, sprinkle with some coarse salt and cool.

Then the hard part....waiting....and waiting until it is cool - like an hour or two!

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment